Research Lab: https://humancomputerinteraction.wvu.edu/
Summary: I am a lifelong learner, my main areas of interest are Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning, Bots, Automation, Blockchain, Data Science, Web, Crowdsourcing, Sharing Economy, Cognitive Computing, Quantum Computing, Computer Vision, Mobile, Management, Online Education, E-commerce, UX, business models, and Emerging Technologies.
2016 - present Research Visiting Scholar and Ph.D. Student
2013 - 2014 Master in Innovation and Technological Entrepreneurship
2012 - 2013 Master of Business Administration
2009 - 2012 BS in Computer Systems Management
2003 - 2009 BS in Computer Engineering
2016 - present
- Research Visiting Scholar & Graduate Research Assistant
- Main Responsibilities:
- The design, development and evaluation of bot-mediated systems.
- Publish research papers
- Main Achievements:
- SocialVaccines: Platform that performs contained attacks and delivers security courses to the vulnerable people.
- Learnteer: Bot that helps learners to develop new skills through volunteering.
- MATT: Bot that delivers micro-tutorials via chat and retrieves feedback from experts.
- Gigapp: A Sharing Economy 2.0 platform that enables non-technical people to create sharing economy platforms.
- Research Intern
- Main Responsibilities: Research and development of bot that help teams to delegate tasks. I was under the guidance of Andres Monroy and Justin Cranshaw.
- Main Achievements:
- The bot was developed and deployed during the internship.
- User studies were performed and a research paper was published.
- Technical Solutions Specialist
- Main Responsibilities: The design and development of tools to improve education in all public elementary schools. middle schools, and high schools in Mexico, especially focused on CS curriculum, and have full coordination with the federal government.
- Main Achievements:
- The design and development of “Drive Sync” tool, this tool synchronizes the content of over 2 million tablets that were given to children of the 5th and 6th grades at the national level.
- The design of an Android development curricula and training for all high school professors at the national level (around 150k CS students).
- Design of a programming curricula for all elementary schools at the national level using Scratch (starting pilot could reach over a million children).
- Research paper “Quantifying the Economic Value of Tablets for K–12 Education”.
- Evaluation of device management and anti-theft solutions for governments. Android for Work and different MDM platforms were evaluated.
2014 - 2015
- Technical Program Manager Apps Development - Google for Education - Emerging Markets (01/14 - 06/15)
- Main Responsibilities: Design and develop fully functional and customizable software integration solutions that allow schools to use Google products and technologies to improve teaching, learning, and administration, helping students to solve their educational needs. Evaluate networking and software projects proposed by universities and partners, providing advice on the best way to design cloud-ready solutions for all community members.
- Main Achievements:
- Products developed
- Followed the entire product life cycle (proposal, technical design, development, reviewing and publishing) of “Account provisioning for Google Apps” API and it is published in Google’s official github.
- Developed Groups Generator for Schools Add-On, a tool that creates users, groups, calendars, shared folders, sites, circles and org unit in bulk using a CSV file. Developed using Apps Script.
- Developed multiple integration snippets using Google Apps Script to solve common Education use cases.
- Content generation: Published the Google plugins in Moodle official site and created the content of the section “Systems Integration” in Google for Work Connect platform.
- Integration: More than 100k users provisioned in schools of Africa and America.
- Public speaking: More than 10 public talks/webinars on behalf of Google.
2011 - 2013
- Main Responsibilities: Content management for UNESCO, UNICEF and UNDP agencies.
- Main Achievements:
- Information gathering system.
- Digital communication strategy.
- Developed a program and system to promote reading which was implemented with the government for all of Mexico’s high school schools and impacted over 3 million students
- Main Responsibilities: Leading the bot development team.
- Main Achievements:
- Multiple bots developed, for national and international companies.
- The most common bots were in the following areas: Customer service, Human Resources, Computer Vision, E-commerce and Education.
- Main Responsibilities: Leading the development of a digital concierge service. It is the most used personal assistant in Mexico.
- Main Achievements:
- Design and development of an administration dashboard in which users, bots and operators can interact and coexist.
- Implementation of AI in chatbots to take orders of common automatable tasks like flights, reservations and food delivery.
2013 - 2014
- Co-Founder CIO
- Main Responsibilities: Technical leadership. Funding raising.
- Main Achievements:
- The biggest cash payment solution in Mexico with a network of 130K points of payment.
- Design and development of API endpoints and bank bots.
2006 - 2011 Co-Founder CTO
- Technical leadership.
- Project Management.
- One of the biggest project was a welfare system that was developed for the government and ran on over 10K mobile devices and benefitted close to 23 million people.
- Website development.
- Servers administration.
- The datacenter was started from scratch and the uptime was 99%.
2002 - 2005 System Administrator
- Technical support.
- Web developer.
- Interconnection of 300 institutions and system integration between them.
Tutor for Computer Science and Engineering
2000 - 2011
- Programming tools.
- Productivity Tools.
- 11 years as a CS teacher covering over 15 different topics with over 30 particular clients and over 200 students.
Carlos Toxtli, Claudia Flores-Saviaga, Joel Chan, Walter S. Lasecki, Andres Monroy-Hernandez, Saiph Savage,
UIST: ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology 2017.
Cole Gleason, Dragan Ahmetovic, Carlos Toxtli, Saiph Savage, Jeffrey P. Bigham, Chieko Asakawa
W4A (Web For All), paper 2017, Australia
Carlos Toxtli, Claudia Flores-Saviaga, Saiph Savage.
ICA (International Communication Association), paper 2016, Japan.
BotViz: Data Visualizations for Collaborations With Bots and Volunteers
Carlos Toxtli, Claudia Flores-Saviaga, Flor Aguilar, Alejandra Monroy, William Dai, Juan Pablo Flores, Nedda Amini, Jeerel Herrejon, Shloka Desai, Norma Elva Chavez, Saiph Savage
CSCW: ACM Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work, posters 2016.
Saiph Savage, Angus Forbes, Carlos Toxtli, Grant McKenzie, Shloka Desai, Tobias Hollerer.
COOP: Conference on the Design of Cooperative Systems 2014: Springer. France.
Daemo: A Self- Governed Crowd Marketplace
Stanford Crowd Research Collective, Saiph Savage, Carlos Toxtli, Michael Bernstein.
UIST: ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, posters 2015.
A Social Crowd-Controlled Orchestra
Saiph Savage, Norma Elva Chavez, Carlos Toxtli, Salvador Medina, David Alvarez, Tobias Hollerer.
CSCW: ACM Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work, posters, 2013.
Ron S. Leder, Gil Azcarate, Rodrigo Savage, Saiph Savage, L. Enrique Sucar, David Reinkensmeyer, Carlos Toxtli, Emilio Roth, Ariel Molina. IEEE Virtual Rehabilitation 2008. Canada.
Carlos Toxtli, Saiph Savage
Campus Party, Zapopan, Mexico, Technical report
Claudia Flores-Saviaga, Carlos Toxtli, Saiph Savage,
UIST: ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology 2016.
Learnteer: Guided Volunteering for Quality Workand Professional Development
Carlos Toxtli, Claudia Flores-Saviaga, Andres Monroy, Walter Lasecki, Saiph Savage.
UIST: ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology 2016.
Social Media, Civic Engagement, and the Slacktivism Hypothesis: Lessons From Mexico’s “El Bronco”
Philip N. Howard, Saiph Savage, Claudia Flores Saviaga, Carlos Toxtli, Andres Monroy-Hemandez
Journal of International Affairs, Columbia, SIPA
Academic and Professional Projects
2000 - 2013 More than 100 projects among which are the following:
Government “Oportunidades” System (Architect, Java Oracle)
Behavioral Oriented Trading Robot, semantic bot (Startup,Matlab)
Social Bot (Developer, C#)
Yellow Pages Bot (Developer, C#)
Forecasts Melate Bot (Developer, PHP consola)
SocialQuery Social Capital managment (Research,HTML5,Facebook,Linkedin)
SIE (Parking system) (Architect, AIR)
FitChallenge Social weight loss (Startup,HTML5,Android,iOS)
7eleven Augmented Reality Finder (Contest,AR,7Eleven APIs,iOS)
Parking system that uses telemetry (Developer, PHP con Mysql)
Tracking System for courier company (Developer, PHP con Mysql)
System for the control of Influenza for the government (Developer, ASP MSSQL)
E-Learning platform (Project Manager, Java MSSQL)
Search Engine Optimization services (Implementer, SEO)
Electronic billing system (Developer,Java,Spring,Struts,Oracle)
System for United Nations to encourage reading (Developer,Naciones Unidas,PHP,Abuntool)
Google Drive Graphic Explorer (Contest,HTML5, Google API)
YoutubeMaps, NASA Contest (Contest,HTML5,NASA APIs)
PagaSitio (Developer,HTTP 1.1, PHP)
MyCurriculum, resumes platform (Startup, HTML5)
Robotic Contest 2009 (Developer, C para micro controladores)
Intelligent Being Oriented Programming paradigm (Developer, C )
Neural networks for room allocation (Developer, Java)
Categorization of unstructured data (Developer, Machine Learning)
Plate recognition by vision (Developer,C OpenCV)
Banking robot, automated bank (Startup,Sikuli,python,java)
Vulnerability Scan for UNAM (Annalist, WhiteHat)
Creating audio format for 32 speakers (Inventor, Parallel Computation)
Experimental 3D Laboratory (Owner,32 speakers 3d audio and 3D video)
Stereoscopic 3D Videos production (Editor, Blender, Stereoscopic)
Videogames XBox 360 and Wii (Developer, XNA DirectX Flash API)
Easy Context Menu Tools (Developer, C# Windows Shell)
Virtual Hardware Streaming (Developer, C++)
Multitouch DJ interface (Contest, Microsoft UIST, .NET)
Collection system NEXTEL (Developer, J2ME)
Taxis Airport System for the Mexican International Airport (Developer, C# CF)
Bus tickets system (Developer, C# Compact Framework)
Issuing ticket machine Driver (Developer, Python)
Bluetooth bomber (Developer, Python)
Biometric security system (Developer, Java)
Magnetic cards security system (Developer, Python)
System-tone telephone system (Developer, Visual Basic)
ToxCore ultraligth linux distribution (Inventor, TinyCore)
Gyroscopic file sharing (Contest,HTML5, Synaptics API)
Interaculta, NUI cultural system (Startup,Kinect,OpenNI)
Router with Linux embedded customization (Developer, Linksys)
Mobile database engine (Developer, J2ME)
Mysql UDF Serial port controller (Developer, Mysql API)
Wan2Tree, non centralized network driver (Developer,Java, Microsoft Pastry)
- Good understanding in Programming, Artificial Intelligence, Software Architecture, Distributed Computing, Natural Language Processing, Computer Vision, Cloud, Data Analysis/Processing, and UX technologies.
- Databases: BigQuery, Postgresql, Mysql, MongoDB, Hadoop, SQL Server, DB2, Informix, Orange, SQL and NoSQL engines, BigData tools, and many others.
- Cloud & Distributed computing: AWS, Google Cloud, Blockchain, Ethereum, Bitcoin, Heroku, OpenShift, BlueMix.
- Artificial Intelligence: TensorFlow, Keras, SciKit Learn, Caffe2, Weka, Pytorch, CNTK, DL4J, Numpy, Theano, among others.
- Natural Language Processing: NLTK, spacy, OpeNER, Stanford NLP, luis.ai, api.ai, wit.ai, Watson NLP, among others.
- Networking: Wired and wireless network design, configuration and installation, Firewall configuration, Linux firmware development, among others.
- Hardware: Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Adafruit, Microcontrollers, PIC, Wearables, Internet of Things, DIY robots, among others.
- Multimedia: Video and Audio tools, 3D video (stereoscopic) and 3D audio, up to 32 speakers.
- Other: Quantum Programming, Cognitive Computing, Brain Computer Interfaces programming, Drone programming, 3D sensors programming, Entrepreneurship and innovation techniques.
2017 Campus Party, “Jobs that are already being replaced by bots and the future of Robotic Process Automation”, Guadalajara,Jalisco
Wayra, “Technological strategies of accelerated growth for startups”, Mexico City, Mexico
2016 Colombia 4.0, “The future of programming, predictions to 10 years”, Bogota, Colombia
Campus Party, “The future of programming, predictions to 10 years”, Guadalajara, Mexico
Connect, “The future of programming, predictions to 10 years”, Monterrey, Mexico
ITHH, “The future of programming, predictions to 10 years”, Hidalgo, Mexico
CiComp, “The future of programming, predictions to 10 years”, Baja California, Mexico
SiSel10, “The future of programming, predictions to 10 years”, Sonora, Mexico
2015 More than 50 talks delivered this year among which are the following:
Hittco, “I do not start to see if it works, because it will work I start”, Mexico, Yucatan
2014 More than 20 talks delivered this year among which are the following:
- National Government, Medal of Excellence EGEL (Awarded to perfect score BS students at national level)
- Google, Google Apps Developer Challenge, 1st place
- Facebook, Facebook Developers World Hack, 1st prize
- Intel, Intel Innovation Latin App, 1st prize
- Cisco, Internet of Everything Challenge, 1st prize
- Forbes, These are the jobs that will be lost by the fourth industrial revolution , https://www.forbes.com.mx/estos-los-empleos-se-perderan-la-cuarta-revolucion-industrial
- TEDx, Undertaking knowing our brain, https://www.ted.com/tedx/events/16758
- Entrepreneur, He helps children turn their dreams into business, https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/293683
- The Conversation, ‘Making Europe Great Again,’ Trump’s online supporters shift attention to the French election https://theconversation.com/making-europe-great-again-trumps-online-supporters-shift-attention-to-the-french-election-74130
- Government, CiuData: Planning the City with Data, https://datos.gob.mx/blog/ciudata-planeando-la-ciudad-con-datos?category=casos-de-uso&tag=infraestructura
- Theet, WVU researching new ways to enhance online technology, https://www.theet.com/statejournal/wvu-researching-new-ways-to-enhance-online-technology/article_9fe46a8d-7c73-5351-87e7-c75e7bdff506.html
- Columbia, Social Media, Civic Engagement, and the Slacktivism Hypothesis: Lessons From Mexico’s “El Bronco”, https://jia.sipa.columbia.edu/social-media-civic-engagement-and-slacktivism
- UNAM, Transforming Crowdsourcing markets, http://www.ingenieria.unam.mx/comunicacion/mostrar_nota.php?id_noticia=293
- Excelsior, Automation, less employment and new economy, http://www.excelsior.com.mx/hacker/2017/07/07/1174219
- Expansion, Why is complicated for Mexico to have its own Zuckerberg?, http://expansion.mx/tecnologia/2017/03/21/por-que-es-complicado-que-mexico-tenga-su-propio-zuckerberg
- OEI, The fourth industrial revolution in education, http://www.oei.es/historico/divulgacioncientifica/?La-cuarta-revolucion-industrial-en-la-educacion
- The North, Make bots not to be unemployed, http://www.elnorte.com/aplicacioneslibre/articulo/default.aspx?id=1155256&md5=59d2a60f843dfffacbf916a2bf503f47&ta=0dfdbac11765226904c16cb9ad1b2efe
- The North, The safety pins of #CPMX8 http://www.elnorte.com/aplicacioneslibre/articulo/default.aspx?id=1152658&md5=e5ee69139c8cbaa83aeb6987a57907fd&ta=0dfdbac11765226904c16cb9ad1b2efe
- The Informer, Automation will remove jobs to 45 out of 100 workers, https://www.informador.mx/Tecnologia/Automatizacion-quitara-empleos-a-45-de-100-trabajadores-20170705-0036.htm
- The Economist, Accountants remain indispensable: Experts, https://www.eleconomista.com.mx/economia/Contadores-siguen-siendo-indispensables-expertos-20170723-0059.html
- AltoNivel, This is how the bots won the battle of employment to humans, https://www.altonivel.com.mx/asi-fue-como-los-bots-le-ganaron-la-batalla-del-empleo-a-los-humanos/
- SpainNews, Doctors, lawyers and drivers are three of the professionals that can disappear with the arrival of robots, https://espanadiario.es/sociedad/medicos-abogados-y-choferes-son-tres-de-profesionales-que-desaparecer-llegada-de-robots
- Reforma, Make bots to prevent unemployment, http://www.reforma.com/aplicacioneslibre/articulo/default.aspx?id=1155301&md5=52a3cf0b05de216352f0a138727cc839&ta=0dfdbac11765226904c16cb9ad1b2efe
- Milenio, The jobs that the bots will take away, http://www.mileniocampusparty.mx/los-empleos-que-los-bots-te-quitaran/
- Milenio, Arrives at merida the digital entrepreneurship Hittco encounter, http://sipse.com/milenio/llega-merida-encuentro-hittco-emprendimiento-digital-144700.html
- Milenio, Predictions of programming, http://www.mileniocampusparty.mx/predicciones-de-la-programacion/
- The Tomorrow, Develop bots to avoid unemployment, https://www.elmanana.com/hagabotsparanoserdesempleado-3876781.html
- Mural, Prevent unemployment by building bots, http://www.mural.com/aplicaciones/articulo/default.aspx?id=1155301
- IntegraIT, Bots! they win the battle of employment to humans, https://www.integrait.com.mx/global/bots-ganan-la-batalla-del-empleo-los-humanos/
- VeracruzUpToDay, 45% of jobs are replaceable by technology and according to Carlos Toxtli, the fourth industry revolution will make them lose even more, http://veracruzaldia.com/Nota/1499299680
- Education and Culture, The Jobs That Will Be Lost By The Fourth Industrial Revolution, http://www.educacionyculturaaz.com/noticias/los-empleos-que-se-perderan-por-la-cuarta-revolucion-industrial
- Chihuahua’s Newsletter, These are the lost jobs for the revolution industrial revolution http://eldiariodechihuahua.mx/Economia/2017/07/05/estos-son-los-empleos-que-se-perderan-por-la-cuarta-revolucion-industrial/
- Qore, 6 jobs that will be lost by the fourth industrial revolution, http://www.qore.com/noticias/57215/6-empleos-que-se-perderan-por-la-cuarta-revolucion-industrial
- Axopolis, Epicentro arrived and the great adventure of innovating, http://www.axopolis.com/otros-temas/ciencia-y-tecnologia/19089-llego-epicentro-y-la-gran-aventura-de-innovar.html
- Digger, Bit Memories: The hype cycle in today's technology, https://digger.mx/2016/hype-cycle-la-tecnologia-hoy/
- Juares Newsletter, Artificial intelligence weighs more jobs https://www.pressreader.com/mexico/el-diario-de-ju%C3%A1rez/20170708/282754881734917
- Xataka, DeKids: this is how a startup in Mexico wants to prepare children for the future, https://www.xataka.com.mx/otros-1/dekids-asi-es-como-un-startup-de-mexico-quiere-preparar-a-los-ninos-para-el-futuro
- CiComp, Recent advances in Computational Sciences, https://www.amazon.com/Avances-recientes-Ciencias-Computacionales-Spanish/dp/1540303969
- TodayInTech, Study on "Top Facebook Profile Influencers" in the topics of entrepreneurship and technology, http://hoyentec.com/tecnologia/top-facebook-profile-influencers/
- World Mates, Traveling and working, when the term vacations disappears, https://worldmatesblog.wordpress.com/tag/carlos-toxtli/
- World Contact, Intel promotes Mexican talent with the 'App Latina' contest, http://mundocontact.com/intel-impulsa-al-talento-mexicano-con-el-concurso-app-latina/
- Learn Watch, Undertaking knowing our brain https://learn.watch/emprender-conociendo-nuestro-cerebro-carlos-toxtli-hernandez-tedxtecdemonterrey/
- Medium, Carlos Toxtli and DeKids, bringing the world of programming closer to the little ones, https://medium.com/@DeKidsMx/martes-23-de-junio-2015-7ab752455ce4
- Ventura MX, ComproPago closed investment for 200k USD; look for 100k USD more, http://venturamexico.com/2014/10/compropago-cerro-inversion-por-200-mil-dolares-busca-100-mil-mas/
- Direct Line, Presenting the hackers elite in Campus Party, http://www.lineadirectaportal.com/modulos/imprimir.php?noticia=44898
- Universal, App with Mexican ingenuity, http://archivo.eluniversal.com.mx/articulos/76625.html
- The Financial, Mexican develops winning App for Google, http://www.elfinanciero.com.mx/tech/mexicano-desarrolla-app-ganadora-para-google.html
- Laureate, "Google Drive Graphic Explorer", an application created by carlos toxtli, uvm student, won the first place internationally, http://laureate-comunicacion.com/prensa/google-drive-graphic-explorer-aplicacion-creada-por-carlos-toxtli-estudiante-de-la-uvm/
- Software Guru, Interview with Carlos Toxtli, one of the winners of Google Apps https://sg.com.mx/buzz/entrevista-carlos-toxtli-uno-los-ganadores-del-google-apps-develper-challengue-2012#.Wfu_QROPJE4
- Startup Weekend Monterrey
- Startup Weekend Zapopan
- Startup Weekend Mexico City @ ITAM
- Startup Weekend Monterrey @ UANL
- Startup Weekend San Luis Potosi
- Startup Weekend International Ventures Mexico City
- Startup Weekend Guadalajara Artificial Intelligence Edition